Wolf - Feedback (Update 1) - Facerig

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  AutumnFox 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

AlleyCat

Based on the feedback we received we made a few changes to the realistic wolf model. Here’s the updated version.

What we changed:
    – the torso is bigger and better defined
    – the muzzle is not split up to the nose anymore
    – took out the bump on the muzzle
    – took out the “beard” like fur

Known issues:
    – seam where the body connects with the neck
    – “staring into your soul” kind of look is because the screenshots were not taken in FaceRig but directly from the editor
    – glowing tongue same reason as above (the screenshots where taken directly from the editor, not in FaceRig)

Please let us know what you think about it.
    edited by AlleyCat
    edited by facerig

SpiritD

The wolf is incredible 0.0, everything that was wrong is now sooo right. I can’t stop looking at it…. Btw with the last few updates you are making it hard to find anything bad on the avatars xD. The only thing that bothered me is the glowing tongue on the last two pictures.

AlleyCat
    SpiritD wrote:
    The wolf is incredible 0.0, everything that was wrong is now sooo right. I can’t stop looking at it…. Btw with the last few updates you are making it hard to find anything bad on the avatars xD. The only thing that bothered me is the glowing tongue on the last two pictures.

Should have added the glowing tongue to the known issues. It’s because the screenshots were made in the editor, not in FaceRig.
    And glad you like it ^^

wolfetter

Oh… My… God… This is incredible. I’m totally going to use it 🙂 I don’t even know how to describe it… It’s fantastic, outstanding, breath taking… Just piece of art. You’re really doing a great job! And as I think, glowing tongue is because of lighting cause it’s not glowing when the camera located on the side. IMO there is no reason to worry about

AutumnFox

I have to say this looks much more natural, great work!

Still a couple of things though:

The cheek tufts stick out a bit too much, the irises look a bit small for the eyes, and the eyes themselves look a tad small (trying to avoid my perception being influenced by the smallness of the irises :P).

[attachment=0]Wolf-Slavic-Totem.jpg[/attachment]
    [attachment=1]wolves.jpg[/attachment]

I think one of the issues about the ‘stump’ appearance before was because isolating the front part of a wolf genuinely *does* make it look like a head on a furry stump, but in reality you can see its belly bulging out slightly behind it, and sitting somewhat to the side which gives its body a more obvious presence. I think to address this you’ve increased the thickness of the shoulders, but I think what mostly needed doing was increasing the thickness of the body and making them sit more naturally, i.e. more asymmetrically.

Couldn’t find any good pictures of wolves sitting in a frontal view so I looked for one of their closest relatives, the Husky (or Alaskan Malamute, I swear some of their coat varieties look exactly the same) 😛

[attachment=2]siberian-husky-1-year-old-sitting-17124987.jpg[/attachment]

Unless bringing it into the lighting environment of FaceRig brings to light (literally xP) any other issues, that’s all I can think of for now, so it’s looking good!

As for using the sliders to satisfy individual users’ personal preferences, my intention has really just been to try to make these more accurate for release, as opposed to trying to influence it with my own subjective (and therefore unhelpful) perceptions, but if it seems that that’s definitely what’s been happening in my comments/reviews then I’m sorry about that.

Edit: Oh my god, chihuahua mode… XD

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

TrueChaoS

Regarding our brief conversation on Skype:

After looking at this a bit more, I don’t think the neck is too long like I initially did. Checking some other pictures, it seems about right. I can’t see any other issues with this after a good look, besides the eyes being mentioned above (pupils are a bit small, eyes themselves could be a little bigger) so this gets my personal approval.

AlleyCat
    AutumnFox wrote:
    As for using the sliders to satisfy individual users’ personal preferences, my intention has really just been to try to make these more accurate for release, as opposed to trying to influence it with my own subjective (and therefore unhelpful) perceptions, but if it seems that that’s definitely what’s been happening in my comments/reviews then I’m sorry about that.

The comment regarding the sliders was in no way added because I thought your opinion is subjective. You added references to support all your suggestions so nobody can really say they’re subjective (especially for a model that’s supposed to be realistic) 🙂

The comment is mostly targeted to the people that ask/are wondering if the models can have smaller body part X or body part Y because they think it’s cute with smaller ears or whatever (an example would be the kitty model where quite a lot of people asked about customizing the body parts) so I added that comment so everybody knows from the start that they’ll be able to adjust some things. I do see now that it might be misunderstood especially in a feedback thread so I’m going to take it out 🙂

Bottom line is that we really appreciate the feedback and suggestions and as you could see it’s super useful in improving the avatars. And even if the feedback was subjective it would still be good as we could make an idea of what people like/want.

That being said, I’ll talk with the artists to see how we can adjust the eyes and with a bit of luck by the end of next week we’ll be able to show you a video with the wolfy in FaceRig.

P.S. The snarl will be in a bit later as we need to do some extra stuff for it to look like a real wolf snarl.
    Also, I’m assuming a howl animation would be something most people want so we’ll try to have it activated by button press (there are some challenges with that because right now the texture around the mouth stretches too much and it doesn’t look good so we need to come up with a solution for it)

AutumnFox
    AlleyCat wrote:
    The comment regarding the sliders was in no way added because I thought your opinion is subjective.

Ah, well that’s good to hear then ^^

Just checking, does the dev team cross-reference points made on each of the feedback threads? Sometimes I feel like repeating myself with some characters because they have similar issues, and I was wondering if the dev team also picks up on that and fixes things that’ve cropped up elsewhere, but weren’t mentioned for that particular character? For example the ears being too thick seems to be a running issue across many of the animal characters (except this one, you seem to have gotten it more or less right), so I would have thought that would be something the devs just generally keep in mind now.

Also, in the rendered views could we see what exact pose the wolf is sitting in, just in case there’s something that makes the posture look a bit off?

P.S. I never thought the mouse-over zoom could be used to change a picture so awesomely (like in the edit to my first post), especially with the last two views XP

AlleyCat
    AutumnFox wrote:

Ah, well that’s good to hear then ^^

Just checking, does the dev team cross-reference points made on each of the feedback threads? Sometimes I feel like repeating myself with some characters because they have similar issues, and I was wondering if the dev team also picks up on that and fixes things that’ve cropped up elsewhere, but weren’t mentioned for that particular character? For example the the ears being too thick seems to be a running issue across many of the animal characters (except this one, you seem to have gotten it more or less right), so I would have thought that would be something the devs just generally keep in mind now.

Also, in the rendered views could we see what exact pose the wolf is sitting in, just in case there’s something that makes the posture look a bit off?
    P.S. I never thought the mouse-over zoom could be used to change a picture so awesomely (like in the edit to my first post), especially with the last two views XP

We do analyse all the feedback and see what else might apply to other characters as well, but as you can imagine some things we might just not connect so if you don’t mind it’s better if you repeat yourself if you see the same problem on multiple characters.
    The ears issue that’s been mentioned for the kitty avatar for example can’t be fixed right now as we need some new shaders implemented and unfortunately there’s nobody free to do that at the moment. 🙁

See below the picures with the entire body (fair warning it’s not really detailed or complete because that part isn’t really shown in FaceRig so there’s no point in adding a lot of detail to it). One thing to keep in mind is that the screenshots present him in the default pose and he needs to stay straight because once we get him into FaceRig the user will control how he moves the head and the neck so the pose will change accordingly (so if he’s not straight it will look off when he moves.. I’m not sure if that actually makes any sense but I don’t really know how else to explain it without an actual video which as I mentioned before is planned for next week).

AutumnFox
    AlleyCat wrote:
    the screenshots present him in the default pose and he needs to stay straight because once we get him into FaceRig the user will control how he moves the head and the neck so the pose will change accordingly

Oh I understand that, I meant more about the symmetry, as in the way a wolf would look in real life if he tried to take that naturally centred pose, so that he looks less like a perfectly aligned robot. If a real wolf can sit in a central position and then look and lean about without looking odd, it seems intuitive that it can also be done with a 3D model.

Though saying that, usually leaning too far in any direction will cause them to stick their paw out a bit to better support their weight, but that sounds more like an animation issue for another time, unless of course you were planning it anyway.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Privacy Preference Center

• Warning: reset() expects parameter 1 to be array, string given in /usr/local/important/web/wp.facerig.com/wp-content/plugins/gdpr/public/partials/privacy-preferences-modal.php on line 33
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/local/important/web/wp.facerig.com/wp-content/plugins/gdpr/public/partials/privacy-preferences-modal.php on line 93