Pony Concept - Facerig

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  faceriguser 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Mihai

Hi everybody!

We have a concept for a Pony avatar. It’s not in line with the style of MyLittlePony, since it’s protected by copyrights, but we are hoping to be fun nevertheless. Please let us know what you think about it.

[attachment=0]PonySketch.jpg[/attachment]

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

dawnchapel

That’s supercute! How much of that is paintover and how much is model, I’m curious to know?

Mihai

The body is ZBrush model, the mane, the tail and the eyelashes are paint over.
    I’m glad you like it 🙂

bluepawwolf

not 100% sure, but i think it might work?

i’d think that technically if someone were to make a generic model that were similar enough to MLP characters, and then put texture that does not interfere with MLP license.
    and then simply gave people the free option of making or importing their own skins for it?
    it would not make facerig liable for copyright issues, while giving the users something they’d want?

Mihai

You mean something like this? I don’t know how close we can get to the style of the actual MLP while NOT getting in to copyrights issues.

[attachment=0]Pony2Sketch.jpg[/attachment]
    edited by Mihai

Attachments:

bluepawwolf

i think it’s got a bit to go.
    however at least by what i think I’ve heard of in the past is that the technicolor and the cutiemark thing would make it too close.
    i will have to dig a bit deeper into the part about copyrights for shapes.
    i have seen Japanese copies of ponies already such as:

but i’m still not sure as to how it infringes on copyrights.
    and also the part of how so many MLP reviewers on you tube uses their own characters.
    so they’re sort of using the basic shape, and then just adding their own colours and even when they add their own self-made cutiemarks.
    i’ve only seen a few of them taken down for using a few too many direct scenes from the series.
    but not due to using the basic shape and technicolor.

also not sure how it all translates to when moving over to full 3D rendering compared to flatter anime styles.

short said, needs more research 😛

dawnchapel

I’m not really sure what kind of feedback to give on the revision as I’m not 100% sure whether the avatar is intended to be deliberately fishing for the mlp/brony crowd or not. If the idea here is to try to skate as close to the official MLP designs without being so similar as to risk copyright violation, I think the closest you’re going to be able to get is somewhere in the neighborhood of a Video Brinquedo-esque knockoff that’s only going to be disappointing to genuine fans of the show and will only be able to fool casual observers:

[attachment=0]Ratatoing.jpg[/attachment]

If that’s the case, I think it might be wiser to leave the creation of avatars aping the style of the show to its community and encourage them to create content of their own, and continue to make the tools and the information necessary to do so as accessible as possible. That way you’re still courting the MLP fan community, without also courting litigation. 🙂

All that said, I rather prefer the first design over the revision, and your current series of halloween and indie-videogame avatars have all been wonderful. That stuff feels, to me, much more like setting trends, rather than chasing them.

Attachments:

Acru

Unless of course you could obtain written permission. Such a thing is not impossible though you’d need to get in contact with the right people, and then pitch it right, and if for profit you might have to pay royalty fees, etc.

I came across this and other items on the site; http://www.shapeways.com/model/2260619/

Apparently they actually have permission, according to this page; http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/16759-hasbro-shapeways-enable-3d-printing-fan-art-with-superfanart.html

faceriguser
    Acru wrote:
    Unless of course you could obtain written permission. Such a thing is not impossible though you’d need to get in contact with the right people, and then pitch it right, and if for profit you might have to pay royalty fees, etc.

I came across this and other items on the site; http://www.shapeways.com/model/2260619/

Apparently they actually have permission, according to this page; http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archives/16759-hasbro-shapeways-enable-3d-printing-fan-art-with-superfanart.html

Good find Acru.

Well does not hurt to try :D.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Privacy Preference Center

• Warning: reset() expects parameter 1 to be array, string given in /usr/local/important/web/wp.facerig.com/wp-content/plugins/gdpr/public/partials/privacy-preferences-modal.php on line 33
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/local/important/web/wp.facerig.com/wp-content/plugins/gdpr/public/partials/privacy-preferences-modal.php on line 93