Live Theater - Facerig

Homepage Forum Community FaceRIG General Discussion Live Theater

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  theater 11 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

theater
    Participant

We are considering using Facerig for a live community theater production. In this application, the actress would be backstage
    and the avatar would be on a HDTV monitor on stage. The avatar would interact live with on stage real people. Nothing
    pre-recorded…all live.

Asking for advice from anyone who’s done this. Facerig would need to be rock solid for a couple of hours because
    a reboot is not in the script. Some questions:

– How cheap a gaming machine can we get away with. Sounds like we need an i5/NVIDIA system. Sounds like you do
    not recommend a laptop with these specs due to performance issues, although we’d like to use one if possible just
    for convenience and cost.
    – Do I need 2 monitors. Sounds like this would work best, actress would see her own image back stage, second
    monitor on stage interacts with live performers. Seems like from your manual I can remove the actual face of the actress and Facerig logo from
    the second screen? We’d give you credit in the program for sure.
    – Will it hold up for 2 hours glitch free.

Thanks, we are low budget community theater so any advice appreciated particularly to reduce computer equipment
    costs. If we go forward, we’ll gladly credit Facerig with the
    technology.

Thanks for any advice.

facerig
    Keymaster

Hello,

Firstly, the license you need for this endeavor is FaceRig Studio, which allows for use at a live show if the onlookers (public) only see the video output, but they don’t get to be in front of the tracking camera and the program is driven by an actor – which seems to be the case for you. Furthermore, the minimum system requirements to run Studio are:
    Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4570 3.20GHz or equivalent
    Memory: 4 GB RAM
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX560 or equivalent
    DirectX: Version 11
    Network: Broadband Internet connection
    Storage: 4 GB available space
    Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card
    The requirements are based on desktop systems, not mobile (netbooks, ultrabooks, laptops, tablet pc). The mobile versions of processors and graphics adapters are not equivalent to the desktop ones. If you have a mobile PC please make sure the charger is plugged, you are running on the best graphic adapter and in high performance mode.
    Yes, you would need two monitors in order to place the secondary broadcast window on the secondary screen. You can find an extensive tutorial with tips for using FaceRig Studio in live shows here: https://facerig.com/docs/facerig-studio-docs/guides/live-show-tips-for-professionals/

Lowell
    Participant

Thanks

theater
    Participant

We’ve made a lot of progress on the live show. And my complements to Facerig, in staged reading… we are getting ready for production, we are getting great reviews. The interesting thing is, once the cast starts talking with the avatar, they forget that there is a live actress back stage. Great stuff guys!

OK, now I’m thinking about the next step. It is incredibly tempting to add (pricy) the Perception Neuron stuff, so we can have the avatar move around, and animate more than the face. We are using Midori now, we really like her. Again this is community theater (which means we are broke). 3 questions: How well does it work? Can I see it live someplace (we are USA Boston area)? Do I need an exceptionally fast PC to take on the added processing load?

Thanks guys, if we never get any further, we are very happy with Facerig, but it is really tempting to get even more animation into our live performance!

facerig
    Keymaster

Hello, glad to hear everything worked so great and you guys are having so much fun!

Regarding the Perception Neuron suit, the minimum system requirements for Studio where specified with the Perception Neuron in mind, and you can see them below:

Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4570 3.20GHz or equivalent
    Memory: 4 GB RAM Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX560 or equivalent
    DirectX: Version 11
    Network: Broadband Internet connection
    Storage: 4 GB available space
    Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card

We often use the Perception Neuron (now we use the new Perception Neuron Pro suit) in our content (the latest video made with the use of the PN can be seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRsvpMkwBN8) and we can say that it works well and we recommend it to whomever wants to integrate full bodied motion capture in their content.

If by “live” you mean to see it in a live performance, where you are in the audience (in a physical sense), then I can’t really say where you should go and what should you visit to see it. However, here are a few YouTube videos with the use of Perception Neuron (with FaceRig, and only just the suit alone):

theater
    Participant

Thank you for the quick response. I could see from one of the video that you have Midori fully rigged for Perception Neuron. She’s our star, so this is what we would use. Now we are working on the funding. Thank you again!

theater
    Participant

One more question on this topic. The Midori avatar, when I zoom out, seems to stop at the torso. That’s fine for our application. My question is if we ad Perception Neuron I assume the leg sensors are effectively not rigged to the avatar. Do I have this right, and otherwise, everything would work as expected. Again thanks for the guidance.

facerig
    Keymaster

Indeed, since Midori is not a full-bodied avatar, the Perception Neuron would not control the avatar’s legs. However, the PN suit has a setting (you can select it from the Perception Neuron software that you install on your PC) that will allow you to control avatars that are not full bodied too. When you move around they will also move, but you won’t be able to see their legs (cause they have none :P).

theater
    Participant

Thank you, got it!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Privacy Preference Center

• Warning: reset() expects parameter 1 to be array, string given in /usr/local/important/web/wp.facerig.com/wp-content/plugins/gdpr/public/partials/privacy-preferences-modal.php on line 33
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/local/important/web/wp.facerig.com/wp-content/plugins/gdpr/public/partials/privacy-preferences-modal.php on line 93