How do you feel if we opened up Steam Pre-orders prior to August? - Facerig

Homepage Forum Backers Only Section Backers Only Polls How do you feel if we opened up Steam Pre-orders prior to August?

This topic contains 17 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  TrueChaoS 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

faceriguser

Because we got a lot of requests in this regard (“I missed the Indiegogo, how can I support the development of FaceRig before August”) , we are currently considering setting-up a pre-order page on Steam, that would go live probably in about four weeks, prior to the Early Access. We’ll have more info on this in three-four weeks when we’ve had time to sort out the legal matters related to pre-orders.

The pre-order will not replicate any of the special rewards listed on the Indiegogo campaign of course (those remain exclusive to the backers) , and the program cost will be higher than it was on Indiegogo ( exactly as we’ve previously announced), but we are considering to offer something extra to all who pre-order on Steam before August, because they too would trust us before actually seeing the program, just like the folks on Indiegogo.

We think that an appropriate reward would be the two prestige avatars that we were planning to offer as as extra reward, for free, to everyone who backed us on Indiegogo.

How do you feel about this?

TrueChaoS

As there are no bonuses for the bottom tier backers on indiegogo, I don’t think there should be a “valuable” reward for pre-ordering on Steam, UNLESS that offer is also extended to current backers. However, you could consider making a forum badge for Steam pre-orders, similar to the Indiegogo backer badges. That could always be a nice fall-back option if you can’t think of something to give as a pre-ordering reward.

While typing this, I did get an idea, though. I’m not sure if Valve even offer this service for software, but you could look into getting Steam Trading Cards and Badges set up, and seeing what Valve can do in that area for pre-ordering customers, such as giving them the level 1 badge for free. I’ve never seen another game or piece of software do this before, so it could be a unique idea.

I’m kinda dry on ideas right now, so that’s all I’ve got, sorry :3

almost forgot: I think it’d be fine to open up pre-orders prior to August.

faceriguser

There is the Hall of fame listing for crowdfunding contributors, even for those who have donated 1 USD.

That will not be available for Steam Pre-orders. 😀

And yes even the ones that have donated 1 dollar on Indiegogo, can still get the two prestige avatars if they actually purchase Facerig later.

edited by facerig

FurRiffic
    TrueChaoS wrote:
    (…) Steam Trading Cards and Badges (…)

Trading cards you earn when playing a game / using a program, so wouldn’t be a good pre-order thing, but badges / chat-emotes could be.
    Also, I’m not sure how easy it is to give them a “steam pre-order’er”-badge on here, since steam would have to give you there emails, since it can’t be done on just the user names / ID’s, as everyone can see those.

On the part of those avatars, I think that would be a good deal, but could we then get a IGG-backer cup/badge/something-prop?

On the subject of props, will you make/distribute any yourself, and how will they tie into the first-2-free/free-for-life perks?

Last question, how will the order of release be?
    Personal thought would be (dates are indication, just to show how long in between I think them):
    25th of June, release specs, model maker, start pre-order
    25th of july, close pre-order (one week to get all the pre-order’s stuff ready should be plenty, if you give any outside-steam rewards)
    1st of august, release for IGG-backers
    15th of august, release for steam pre-orders.
    22th of august, big update *
    29th of august, “open” (buy-in) beta.

* = Aka wait till updating till you have a good input on possible bugs / problems, so you also know that, for bugs after the update, they will probably be in the things you just “fixed”. I know of several occasions where groups/companies updated too fast and with new bugs didn’t know if they needed to look in old or new code, slowing down the updates. This because they could just have not been found yet with the old version, so they need to look through every part. Only exception to this is program-breaking bugs of course (can’t install / start the program, that kind of stuff).
    edited by FurRiffic

TrueChaoS
    FurRiffic wrote:
    Trading cards you earn when playing a game / using a program, so wouldn’t be a good pre-order thing, but badges / chat-emotes could be.
    Also, I’m not sure how easy it is to give them a “steam pre-order’er”-badge on here, since steam would have to give you there emails, since it can’t be done on just the user names / ID’s, as everyone can see those.

I’m not suggesting giving cards themselves (though booster packs could work), but maybe a free level 1 badge that you would normally get for turning a full set of cards. Like I said, just shooting ideas out.

As for the badge: That’s exactly how it would have to work. Yup :3

The rest of your post is good so I’ll leave it alone xP

Falcon

I certainly see no issue offering said avatars to those who wish to pre-order. As detailed, the perks for those who backed the Indiegogo campaign still outweigh such an offering and more people buying the product only helps the developer (and in turn, the end users).

Hard to believe August can be seen in the horizon. You all seem to be still sane, too. Hope that lasts. ;>

Zero_Leaf

It is good idea, but preordering an early acces program sounds kinds weird.
    Also you shouldn’t split up the community by

I am representative of a russian comunity (sorry for my accent) and people are constantly asking me about FaceRig accessibility and release date, so it would be unwise to punish someone for unawareness.

About rewards: maybe only one character pack? Because if $10 donaters on IGG AND steam get same rewards, what was the point in Grand Explorer perk at first place.

Falcon

One could almost consider the two release dates before the buy-in date (of Aug 31) as a limited beta test period. It would allow a half month of major testing by IGG backers and a subsequent half month of more testing from those who pre-ordered on Steam. That should help put the spit and polish on everything before the ‘official’ release.

…and your English is a thousand times better than my Russian, Zero_Leaf. ;>

AlleyCat
    Zero_Leaf wrote:
    It is good idea, but preordering an early acces program sounds kinds weird.
    Also you shouldn’t split up the community by

I am representative of a russian comunity (sorry for my accent) and people are constantly asking me about FaceRig accessibility and release date, so it would be unwise to punish someone for unawareness.

About rewards: maybe only one character pack? Because if $10 donaters on IGG AND steam get same rewards, what was the point in Grand Explorer perk at first place.[/quote]

Actually Florin wasn’t talking about character packs (a pack will have around 10 characters in it), but two characters for the Steam preorders. So the Grand Explorer perk (the $10 one) would still have better rewards than what is included in the preorder pack.

Regarding the release dates, the point isn’t to punish anybody.
    The point the guys were trying to make is that when FaceRig will be released, it will have a few bugs (that’s why it will be in Beta) so it might be better to have a smaller number of users testing it at first and after we make sure that there aren’t any crazy bad bugs to distribute it further. (not everybody understands that a software in Beta still has a lot of issues that need to be fixed and many users might just get upset that it isn’t working perfectly).
    Another idea would be just to distribute it to everybody from the start because the more people test it the more bugs will be found in a shorter time so it should provide a more polished experience by the time of the final release.
    Again we haven’t decided on anything yet, these are just possible scenarios that we’re trying to come up with the pros and cons for and we want our backers feedback on.

And by the way, your English is really good 🙂 If people from all over the world can understand your post it can only be good so don’t worry about it 🙂

Marenthyu
    Participant

Just to give you my Opinion on this: I pretty much would agree with the timetable FurRiffic provided. From my point of view it would be fair for most of the people (you can’t always make everyone happy – sad but true).

Zero_Leaf

Peoples are just so exited about facerig. I don’t think that giving IGG backers some time to play with it before open beta starts is bad idea, if that early acces for early acces time is like 3-5 days. Not a 3-5 weeks. I don’t know how long internet gonna take to brake trough Steam’s DRM, but if some program ended up free by torrents before you can even get a chance to pay money for it… Some people that want to support your program will bought it when it came live, sure. Also from a customer stand point it will be looking like punishment for each opportunity to give you money they miss.

Dawn Sparkle
    Participant

If It does come to people getting torrents, they could just do what gabe newel did and send out a fake copy in a torrent that locks your steam account for illegally downloading some of steam/valve’s software

mrseeker

People will always steal games, but the ones that enjoy the game will buy it at a later stage.My humble opinion, DRM is something you should invest a little bit in to get people “pushed” to buy the game, but it should not be a limiting factor. I had games break on older computers because you were forced to “download” the latest update from a non-existent website. Also the “always-on” DRM made me wheep a lot. Steam has some pretty good DRM, and thats why i use a lot of steam, however if there is DRM that forces me to have an internet connection and craps the hell out of me with “you are required to have an account at our website” I quickly stop playing. Reason why I wished I never bought simcity (even though I got a second game for free).

Steam pre-orders? They are great, however I think its best to have a clear view of what you want to do.

TrueChaoS
    mrseeker wrote:
    People will always steal games, but the ones that enjoy the game will buy it at a later stage.My humble opinion, DRM is something you should invest a little bit in to get people “pushed” to buy the game, but it should not be a limiting factor. I had games break on older computers because you were forced to “download” the latest update from a non-existent website. Also the “always-on” DRM made me wheep a lot. Steam has some pretty good DRM, and thats why i use a lot of steam, however if there is DRM that forces me to have an internet connection and craps the hell out of me with “you are required to have an account at our website” I quickly stop playing. Reason why I wished I never bought simcity (even though I got a second game for free).

Steam pre-orders? They are great, however I think its best to have a clear view of what you want to do.

In regards to DRM and people potentially stealing the program, that has been addressed in this thread:
    https://www.facerig.com/forum/posts/f2/t561/facerig-and-piracy

eapenster

I have nothing against it. am wondering when its going to come out though . any time soon I hope. I Backed facerig in indiegogo but I don’t have it in steam in anyform whatsoever. I am wondering how you guys are going to pass it to us during beta ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Privacy Preference Center

• Warning: reset() expects parameter 1 to be array, string given in /usr/local/important/web/wp.facerig.com/wp-content/plugins/gdpr/public/partials/privacy-preferences-modal.php on line 33
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/local/important/web/wp.facerig.com/wp-content/plugins/gdpr/public/partials/privacy-preferences-modal.php on line 93