Dragon - feedback - Facerig

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  AlleyCat 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

AlleyCat

Please give feedback here regarding the Dragon avatar (good or bad, all is welcomed). Screen-shots attached with the avatar in different poses:

Note: I updated the screen-shots as the last ones were a bit stretched.

edited by AlleyCat
    edited by facerig

Stickman

Interesting dragon design. I like the details on the face, especially from the side. The angular planes and the “strips” that run along the face. Very awesome.

I’ve got two issues with this avatar.

First, it looks a bit like a puppet. The neck feels too thin and weak. Take a look at a giraffe for a real world example of a functional super long neck. You could also examine a snake if you wanted a more flexible looking neck. In both cases, the neck would come out further towards the back of the head, and would be much thicker to support the weight of the head.

Second, while the profile looks very exciting and interesting, the front view is uninteresting and unappealing. Instead of looking sleek, awesome, dangerous, scary, or whatever else you may think of a dragon, it looks old, weary, a bit ugly. If you pull the angles and striped segments and bevels and designs from the side view into the front view, it should spice it up and make it a lot more interesting. The front view is super important, since that’s the view most people are going to be looking at when the avatar is being used.

TrueChaoS
    Stickman wrote:
    First, it looks a bit like a puppet. The neck feels too thin and weak. Take a look at a giraffe for a real world example of a functional super long neck. You could also examine a snake if you wanted a more flexible looking neck. In both cases, the neck would come out further towards the back of the head, and would be much thicker to support the weight of the head.

This was the original major issue people had with this when it was first revealed. Though, I think I know EXACTLY why it looks so weird now :3

In a VERY large majority of cases, dragon necks are often connected to the back of the dragon’s head rather than the base like a giraffe’s neck. While this isn’t always the case, it has become almost a standard in dragon design from what I’ve seen. The few cases I can recall with them designed this way are also FAR larger in general, with much thicker and shorter necks, usually connected to powerful bodies.

The problem with this dragon is that it has the sleek, agile design of a more traditional dragon, but its neck is in the wrong place for it. At least, in my barely educated opinion on the matter.

Avereth

The biggest thing that threw me off with the dragon was how the neck just goes all over the place. Unfortunately it just doesn’t look like the proper angle for a dragon’s neck to be in unless we’re talking Eastern Dragons. Generally unless you’re looking up at the dragon the body is going to be visible behind it talking face to face. I doubt the dragon actually has a body right now, but eventually it may require one with the neck angled to be connected more towards the back of the head.

The nostril flaring was a bit weird looking too. I think it was just a bit too over-dramatic every time it did it. Granted I’m sure there are different generally assumed forms and appearances for dragons over where you guys are compared to me in the USA, but it’s very rare to see a dragon’s nose doing that. This dragon is certainly different than what I’m used to seeing; it seems reminiscent of something you might find hiding in certain lakes in Scotland(the tiny teeth even make it look like a fish eater) or living underground away from all sunlight its whole life moreso than the village burning, people crunching, knight battling scaly behemoths I’m more accustomed to.

AlleyCat

Locking this thread as we made adjustments to the dragon model and posted the update in a new thread.
    Thanks for the feedback everybody! 😀

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Privacy Preference Center

• Warning: reset() expects parameter 1 to be array, string given in /usr/local/important/web/wp.facerig.com/wp-content/plugins/gdpr/public/partials/privacy-preferences-modal.php on line 33
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/local/important/web/wp.facerig.com/wp-content/plugins/gdpr/public/partials/privacy-preferences-modal.php on line 93